The Mawazo PhD Scholars Programme for African Women is a one-year, non-residential fellowship aimed at women pursuing PhD studies at Kenyan universities.
Application Deadline for Mawazo PhD Scholars Programme for African Women : 2nd February 2018
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Citizens from any African country
To be taken at (country): Kenya
Field of Study: Any field of study, at the PhD level
About the Award: The goal of this programme is to build a strong pipeline of future researchers who are prepared to ask insightful questions about African development, and effectively communicate their results to both government and industry leaders and the general public.
We welcome applications from women in any academic discipline, with a preference for research projects focused on development-related topics, and using social science research methods.
Selection/Eligibility Criteria for Mawazo PhD Scholars Programme for African Women : You should apply for the Mawazo PhD Scholars programme if you are:
- A woman under the age of 40 (as of 1 January 2018)
- A citizen of an African country
- Enrolled in a PhD programme at a Kenyan university, in any department
- Working on or about to begin working on an academic research project which is related to African development, and which is intended for publication
- Predominantly using social science research methods, rather than carrying out lab-based research. (“Social science research methods” include archival research,
- interviews, surveys, quantitative analysis, machine learning, etc. We draw this distinction for purely logistical reasons, as Mawazo is not equipped to support laboratory research)
- Currently living in Kenya, or otherwise able to travel to Nairobi at least two times per month for the rest of 2018
Value of Scholarship: Mawazo PhD Scholars receive the following benefits:
- A research grant worth Ksh 500,000 on average (precise value will vary depending on the amount needed for each Scholar’s research)
- Training in research methods, academic writing, grant writing, public engagement, and the publication process
- Research and editorial support from the Mawazo staff
- Travel grants for participation in regional or international conferences
- Connections to mentors, and industry and government leaders, in their field
- A dedicated desk at Mawazo’s office at Ikigai, Spring Valley, Nairobi
Duration of Scholarship: One year
How to Apply for Mawazo PhD Scholars Programme for African Women :
The application for the 2018 PhD Scholars cohort is now open. All applications must be submitted through the online portal.
Award Provider: Mawazo Institute
Important Notes: Applications are only accepted through online portal
If you have any question or you need more information about Mawazo PhD Scholars Programme for African Women please provide us your email or contact number via the comment box below.