The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program’s Tunisia Undergraduate Scholarship Program (Tunisia UGRAD) and Tunisia Community College Scholarship Program (TCCSP) are now accepting applications from Tunisian undergraduate students for the 2018/2019 academic year.
Application Deadline for Thomas Jefferson Scholarship: Wednesday, 27th November, 2017, at 5 p.m. Tunisia time.
Eligible Countries: Tunisia
To be taken at (country): United States
About the Award: The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship program builds the employability skills of a diverse group of youth from across Tunisia. Through academic, cultural, and professional programming, the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program provides Tunisian youth with opportunities to develop the skills needed to contribute to Tunisia’s economic development.
Since the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship program’s inception in 2013, more than 360 undergraduate students from all 24 governorates of Tunisia have studied in colleges and universities across the United States.
Through programming focused on skill-building and leadership growth, students enhance their academic and English skills, develop their leadership capacity, and strengthen their professional expertise, which promotes economic development in Tunisia. In a recent survey, 89% of Thomas Jefferson Scholars who returned home and completed their education reported that they are now employed.
Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Eligibility:
The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by U.S. law.
To be eligible for the 2018/2019 Tunisia Undergraduate Scholarship Program (Tunisia UGRAD), candidate:
Is a citizen, national or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid passport issued by the government of Tunisia;
Is currently enrolled as a first- or second-year full-time undergraduate (Licence) student in good academic standing at the time of application at a registered academic institution in Tunisia;
Architecture students are eligible in their first-, second-, third-, or fourth-year of study.
Engineering students are eligible in their first-, or second-year (preparatory classes), and third- and fourth-year of undergraduate study;
If you study at an ISSAT (Institut Supérieur des Sciences Appliquées et de Technologie) please see the Tunisia Community College Scholarship Program application.
Is currently residing in Tunisia;
Is able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
Is at least 18 years old by July 1, 2018
Is committed to returning to Tunisia after completion of the program; and
Is able to achieve a TOEFL score of 500 (PBT) or likely to achieve this score after short-term pre-academic English training in the United States prior to the start of the academic year. .
To be eligible for the 2018/2019 Tunisia Community College Scholarship Program (TCCSP), candidate:
- Is a citizen, national, or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid passport issued by the government of Tunisia;
- Is currently residing in Tunisia;
- Is currently enrolled as a first- or second-year full-time undergraduate (Licence) student in good academic standing at the time of application at an ISET (Institut Supérieur des Etudes Technologiques), IHET (Institut Supérieur des Etudes Touristiques), or ISSAT (Institut Supérieur des Sciences Appliquées et de Technologie);
- Is able to receive and maintain a US J-1 visa;
- Is committed to returning to Tunisia after completing the program;
- Is able to achieve a TOEFL score of 440 (PBT) or is likely to achieve this score after short-term preacademic English training in the United States prior to the start of the academic year; and
- Is at least 18 years old by July 1, 2018.
- Selection: The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program selects participants through an open, merit-based competition to attend year-long academic and professional development programs in the US. Participants also engage in community service, internships, and cultural exchange activities.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications (not in order of importance):
- Academic excellence;
- Expressed commitment to contribute to Tunisia’s economic development;
- Demonstrated leadership potential and commitment to community engagement;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Flexibility and adaptability as an exchange student; and
- Minimum TOEFL of 500 PBT or ability to achieve a 500 following short-term intensive English language training.
- Preference will be given to students that represent disadvantaged and underrepresented communities.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship:
- J-1 visa support;
- Round-trip travel from participant’s home city to host institution in the United States;
- Accident and sickness coverage;
- Tuition and mandatory university fees;
- Room and board (housing and meals);
- A wide variety of alumni networking and training opportunities.
- Small incidentals allowance;
- Limited allowance for books;
How to Apply for Thomas Jefferson Scholarship:
To learn more about the program and its eligibility requirements, please visit the Tunisia UGRAD or TCCSPapplication information pages. All individuals who meet the technical eligibility requirements should apply by Monday, November 27, 2017, at 5 p.m. Tunisia time.
Important Notes: Late applications will not be accepted. Do not send applications to the IREX office in Washington, DC. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted. Applications will not be returned to the applicants after the end of the competition;
Applicants should keep a copy for their own records. Applications must be clear and readable. Unclear or unreadable copies will not be accepted. Each complete application should be stapled. No other form of binding is permitted.
If submitting an online application, it is not necessary to send a paper copy. Only complete applications received by the deadline will be considered.
Award Provider: The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program’s Tunisia Undergraduate Scholarship Program (Tunisia UGRAD) and Tunisia Community College Scholarship Program (TCCSP) are programs sponsored by the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). The programs are implemented by IREX.